Ninety-Five Years of Ministry
Second Missionary Baptist Church was orgaized March 10, 1922 by a council of ministers from Detroit, MI in the home of Mr. and Mrs. Luvert Covington.
The Rev. J. C. Mckibbon was ordainded and installed as the first pastor of the church. And soon after, resigned.
1922 - 1924 Rev. D. P. Broax was called to serve. In 1923 the church became an independent institution and was incorporated in 1924.
1924 - 1925 Rev. G. L. Milles was called and plans were outlined to purchase a lot and build the church. After the basement was completed at 322 Conant Avenue, services were held there. Rev Milles resigned in 1925.
1925 - 1929 Rev. J. W. White was pastor. During that time the church cornerstone was laid, the building was completed and in 1926 the dedication service was held.
1926 - 1966 there were eight pastors who came to serve. During that time, the mortgage was burned, the pulpit furniture and piano were purchased, pews, baptisery, choir room and office were all accomplished.
January of 1952 W. J. Pittman was called and served ten years.
During his administration a dining room was built and a lot was purchased for the extension of the church.
In 1965 Rev. Nathan H. Staples was called to sereve. Within his time as pastor, the basement bathroom fixtures and cabinets were installed and the church grew spiritually and financially.
In October of 1966 Rev. J. C. Jones and his family came to Monroe and joined the church where he served as the education advisor.
After the death of Pastor Staples, Rev. Jones was called to pastor in August of 1967.
On June 23, 1974 the present location of 501 Clark Street was purchased. The church congergation along with Pastor Jones, Deacon Philpot and Rev. Alfred Overstreet marched from Second Missionary Baptist on Conant Avenue to the new location on Clark Street. The mortgage was burned three months pre-mature on November 22, 1981.
March 1991 - June 1992 Rev. James R. Overton of Toledo, OH served.
June 1993 - 2004 Rev. Carl J. Curry of Detroit, MI served.
2005 - 2018 Rev. Allen C. Overton Flint, MI was called to serve. During his time as pastor he encouraged those of all ages, causing the church to grow tremendously over the years. Under his leadership, we initiated our food pantry ministry, renovated our sanctuary, our basement classrooms restored, the fellowship hall and kitchen renovated, His vision for a new parking lot was initiated and completed. Because of Pastor Overton's faith and leadership we have established the Mother Willie E. Dickerson Memorial Scholarship for our college bound students. Several delegates have attended the National Baptist Congress to further their Christian Education.